We are all guilty of poor posture. Posture is as important to your health as working out, eating healthfully and getting a good nights sleep. All fitness programs’ #1 goal is to promote and improve good posture. Posture can determine the outcome of your performance, it affects how you walk, run, jump, lift weights and so on.
- Allows your muscles to work efficiently and as intended
- Decreases wear and tear on joints
- Decreases risk of joint discomfort and degenerative arthritis
- Decreases stress on ligaments supporting your spinal vertebrae
- Allows vital organs to remain in proper position
- Allows the nervous system to function optimally
Causes of poor posture:
- Weak core muscles– prevents you from holding your hips and torso in alignment
- Tight muscles – common for those that sit for long hours at a time
- Muscle imbalances
- Pregnancy (according the American Chiropractic Association)
- Wearing high heeled shoes (according the American Chiropractic Association)
- Accidents, injuries and falls
- Excessive weight
- Foot problems and improper foods
- Careless sitting, standing and sleeping habits
- Poorly designed work space
Poor posture causes:
- Tight muscles of neck, back and limbs
- Joint stiffness and pain
Since the majority of us don’t have our mothers following us around telling us to stand up straight, Lumo Body Tech. has created a little device that gently vibrates when you slouch.
The Lumo Lift not only notifies you of your poor posture, but tracks steps, calories burned and distance traveled. You can check your progress by viewing the IOS compatible app. The Lumo Lift costs $99.99.
Video – Kelly Starrett on Posture: